• Users Online: 440
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 46-50

Assessment of knowledge, attitude, and practices (KAP) on menstrual hygiene among adolescent girls residing in govt. social welfare hostels


1 Department of Community Medicine, ESIC Medical College, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
2 Department of Physiology, Narayana Medical College and Hospital, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Surendra Babu
Department of Community Medicine, ESIC Medical College, 7-1-634, Survey No.121/1 & 121/2, National Highway 65 Sanjeeva Reddy Nagar, Sanath Nagar, Hyderabad 500038, Telangana.
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/dypj.dypj_36_21

Rights and Permissions

Background: Adolescent girls, in particular, should be encouraged toward practicing hygienic methods during menstruation like usage of sanitary pads and they should get access to clean sanitary products to safeguard their healthObjectives: The aim of this study was to assess the level of knowledge, attitude, and practices of menstrual hygiene among the adolescent girls in social welfare hostels and their morbidity pattern during menstruation. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional study was done among adolescent girls (11–19 years) residing in the government social welfare hostels, Chittoor. The study was started after obtaining the clearance from the institutation ethical committee. A predesigned, pretested, semistructured questionnaire was used and the data were expressed in proportions and frequencies, and appropriate statistical tests were done to see the association with the age category and morbidity profile. Results: A total of 200 were participated amongst them early adolescent age group (10–14 years) 68 and late adolescent age group (15–19 years) of 132 were involved. Majority of them (82 [41.0%]) reported menstruation as a physiological process, 57 (28.5%) as pathological process, 48 (24.0%) as curse of God, and very few did not know the reason. The source of information was the mother 73 (36.5%), sisters 72 (36.0%), and friends, respectively. More than three-fourth (155 [77.5%]) of the students were absent from the classes during menstruation and 45 (22.5%) students attended the classes regularly. Approximately 172 (86%) of the students had restrictions and the remaining 28 (14%) did not have any restrictions during menstruation. Treatment seeking during menstruation as home remedy was 48 (24.0%), consulting doctor was 64 (32.0), and 88 (44.0%) were not seeking any treatment during menstruation. The association between menstrual morbidities and age-wise distribution is found to be highly significant with χ2 = 39.04 and P < 0.001Conclusions: The adolescent school girls had good knowledge and good practices regarding menstrual health among those who had attained menarche. Mothers were the primary source of information and education about menstruation and restrictions should be intensified.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1358    
    Printed48    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded133    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal